Clinton Newberry Natural Gas Authority

Tips and Resources






CNNGA since 1952Energy Saving Tips

The following energy saving tips are not only good for the environment, but can help lower you gas bill as well.

  • Make sure your house is adequately insulated in the walls and attic.
  • Replace older, drafty windows.
  • Check and seal air leaks around doors.
  • Replace older appliances with high efficiency appliances.
  • Have your furnace regularly cleaned and maintained by a professional. Check your furnace filter monthly and replace it when it’s dirty.
  • Insulate your water heater and hot water pipes. Set your heater to 120 degrees.
  • Set your thermostat at 68 degrees or lower in the winter. Each degree lower can lessen your heating costs.
  • Use a programmable thermostat, which can allow you to maintain the comfort of your home when you’re there and reduce energy costs when you’re gone.
  • On sunny days, open your curtains and blinds and let the sun help heat your home.
  • Repair leaking faucets that use hot water.
  • Install a low-flow shower head, and take a shower instead of a bath.
  • Run the dishwasher only when it’s full.
  • Wash only full loads of clothes and use cold water.
  • Dry loads of clothes back to back. Dryers retain heat from one load to the next.
  • Turn off kitchen and ventilation fans – they can pull heat from your rooms.
  • Defrost food completely before cooking, this can save 30-50 percent on cooking costs

Back to top.





Gas Safety Tips

Safety Tips

Gas Leaks

Pure natural gas is colorless and odorless. A chemical is added to give the gas a distinctive, pungent odor so that you can smell a leak immediately.


    Signs of a possible gas leak include:

  • A pungent odor
  • The vegetation over or near a pipeline is discolored and appears dead
  • A hissing or roaring sound near a gas appliance or the pipeline
  • Dirt or debris blowing up into the air
  • Persistent bubbles in streams, ponds or wet areas
  • Flames if a leak has ignited

    If you suspect a gas leak, you should:

  • Call CNNGA immediately from a phone outside your house so we may assist you. Do not smoke, turn on any light switches, and do not use any electrical appliances.
  • In addition, remember to practice safety drills for leaving the house in case of a gas emergency

CNNGA can be reached in our Clinton office at 864.833.1862 or our Newberry office at 803.276.1550.

If it’s after-hours, call: 800.221.8109 or 864.833.1862.



Natural Gas Appliances

Please contact CNNGA for any questions about correctly installing gas appliances. Natural gas appliances are made for different sized rooms. Do not use gas appliances in small rooms or rooms where there is not proper ventilation, it could cause an excess of carbon monoxide. If you do need to use an appliance in a small room, ask a professional for advice.


    Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Flushed (red) skin
  • Tiredness or a desire to sleep
  • False sense of well-being
  • Vomiting

Pets are also very susceptible to carbon monoxide in the air.

If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak, leave your residence immediately. You should treat carbon monoxide as you would a fire – don’t stop to gather belongings – simply get out in the fresh air.

Once you have left the house, contact your local natural gas company or the fire department. Do not go back in your home until they come and tell you it’s OK to do so.


In addition, you should also:

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home or business.
  • Keep your chimney damper open when using gas logs.
  • Check gas dryer ducts periodically and remove lint or other debris.
  • Never store rags, mops, or other combustibles near a gas appliance.

Back to top.





Other Helpful Resources

For more energy and safety information, we suggest that you visit the following sites:

Energy Star

American Gas Association

U.S. Dept. of Energy

Back to top.